Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How big can teams be?
Up to 5 people, if you’re looking to submit your project for the weekly and/or final prizes. Otherwise, we don’t really mind if you go over, so as long as your project sits out from prizing considerations!
Is there a minimum age requirement?
Yes, you must be 13 years of age or older at the time of entry. Being a global hackathon, we have to comply with many policies around the world, such as the FTC’s COPPA.
Is there a schedule of events?
What about Intellectual Property (IP)?
- The intellectual property of each project is owned by their respective teams.
- Teams that use someone else’s assets (e.g. libraries, frameworks, source code, images, etc.) are responsible for abiding by each asset’s usage rights. Failure to do so will automatically disqualify that team from current and future prize consideration.
- In case it wasn’t clear, no stealing of others’ intellectual property! Be 100% sure you are allowed to use something before you do.
- While not required during submission, teams must be ready to provide proof of fair use of intellectual property to judges and organizers upon request.
Does our solution need to be open-source?
- No, not necessarily.
- For teams that choose to keep their solution proprietary, judges and organizers reserve the right to scrutinize the source code & other assets for compliance with usage rights.
- For all teams, failure to allow judges’ and organizers’ scrutiny may result in disqualification from prizing of any nature.
Can I work on a project I’ve already started before CODEVID-19?
That’s fine, however only projects that were started on or after March 16, 00:00 UTC can be submitted for prizing considerations. See Submissions for more details.
When do sign-ups start? When do they end?
Do you have datasets and other resources we could start from?
We’re working on a pre-compiled list, but until it’s available you can find many tools posted in our Slack workspace by our community.
Will all projects be judged? Can I opt not to have my project submitted?
Absolutely! We ask that teams who want to compete for prizing to submit their projects on their own.
What’s the cost of entry?
This hackathon is free to enter and participate in! We thank our sponsors for supporting our endeavours.
Okay, so what’s the catch?
If I see organizers give out a time/deadline, what time zone is it in?
Double-check with them, but we are running in UTC. Check here to see what that is relative to your local time.
I still have questions. Who can I ask?
Organizers are active on Slack. Please join us here and look for people whose profiles say “Organizer” under their names. You can also contact us via email at email@example.com or reach out via Twitter